Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Music that Moves You--Part 2

Jodie here. We're talking about the songs that speak to us this week, and today it's all about deployment. Care to drop into the comments and share?

Below is the song my husband I thought of as "our" deployment song, but the truth is, it's a universal sentiment, at least in my Army community. I was in a seminar once with about three hundred spouses of deployed soldiers. It was one of those "fun days" that occasionally come along, a day when we were learning about the upside of deployment and sort of laughing and joking together. (And yes, there is an upside to deployment, believe it or not.) During the lunch break, they piped in music over the loudspeakers while we were chatting. I'm not sure how the playlist got put together or if it was a totally random satellite radio station, but you could have heard a bread crumb hit a plate when this particular song came on. Every wife stopped talking. Just about every eye teared up. There's a reason I refer to this as "the deployment song." And even though he's home now, it still gets me every time because, believe me, I remember the feeling.



-JB

2 comments:

  1. Jodie, I believe you! As a mom, who welcomed her son home after Operation Iraqi Freedom, I'll NEVER forget that feeling. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Karen! I love Military Moms. Even as a wife, I feel for the moms who have to stand in line behind girlfriends and wives sometimes. You guys are awesome. Thanks for commenting. :-)

    ReplyDelete